[Mapserver-users] how many mapserver users are over the world?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Jun 15 13:30:07 EDT 2004

Always the great unknown. Open source software is downloaded and used
alot of the time by people who never join the lists. So lists are only a
pale reflection of overall useage.

It would be nice if mapserver had a 'phone-home' that hit a particular
URL at UMN once and reported back it's version number and IP address.
Then UMN could compile statistics about real mapserver usage, in terms
of version deployed, and general location deployed (using some of the
simple IP->location databases). It could be disabled with a
--disabe-phonehome compile option for those who are shy, and would only
do it once (dropping a file into tmp perhaps to indicate it has been done?).

A dream, I know, but it is sad that we do not know the true size of our
user community.

I have often thought that

--
       __