[Mapserver-users] Query Raster Layer for Pixel Values

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jun 15 16:03:08 EDT 2004

John Norton wrote:
> Sorry I missed the meeting in Ottawa. Frank W. probably discussed
> querying raster layers in his workshop. Basically, I would like to a
> query a raster layer (8 bit or 16 bit if possible) with a bounding
> rectangle or possibly a user selected/defined shape and apply a function
> to each of the pixel values, eg find the average value. Or could a query
> just return a vector with the pixel values. I don't need the spatial
> location for each, just the DN value. Any ideas how this may be done
> with MS or where might I start?

John,

I would suggest you start by reading over the wiki topic:

   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RasterQuery

Basically, you can use normal query by point, rect or shape against raster
layers, but you need to include a template for the raster layer.  The results
can be displayed using a template, or consumed in mapscript.

Best regards,