[Mapserver-users] Cartographic question

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Thu Jun 24 11:15:21 EDT 2004

Ballini Yvain wrote:

> I would like to know if mapserver redefines the extent parameter after
> that it has been passed in the url.

Yvain,

I *think* MapServer does the following:

given an extent of x1,y2,x2,y2 and an image size of wi,he:

if the geographic extent has the same proportion as the image size:

(x2-x1) / (y2 - y1) = wi / he

then an image is returned with the requested extent.

If the proprortions of geographic and image extent are different, then
MapServer scales the extent without distortion to fit completely within
the image. In that case, along one of the axes some empty room will be
left in the image. MapServer then extends the geographic extent on that
axis on both sides, so as to fill up the image completely.

This is different from the WMS specification, where the requested extent
is always returned, if needed with distortion to fit within the image
size. There has been some discussion going on about his "non-square
pixel" problem, and I think it is possible now to add an extra MapFile
parameter to let MapServer behave in this way.

Jan