[Mapserver-users] is it possible to load many WMS layers?

Eduardo Patto Kanegae eduardo at consultoria.eti.br
Thu Jun 24 21:23:00 EDT 2004

Hi,

I still don't any experience within WMS applications and have some
doubts, before trying to use it:

1. following the instructions at WMS How-tos of mapserver docs I made a
simple WMS server ( one layer only) and after set up a client mapfile
application that connects this WMS server ( powered by mapserver). One
thing I got in doubt:  at the docs it shows a client sample layer
configuration....

LAYER
      NAME "prov_bound"
      TYPE RASTER # <<<<===== my great doubt!!!!
      STATUS ON
      CONNECTION "http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/cgi-bin/mswms_gmap?"
      CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
      METADATA
        "wms_srs"             "EPSG:42304 EPSG:42101 EPSG:4269 EPSG:4326 EPSG:42304"
        "wms_name"            "prov_bound"
        "wms_server_version"  "1.1.0"
        "wms_formatlist"      "image/gif,image/png,image/jpeg,image/wbmp"
        "wms_format"          "image/gif"
      END
END

if layer is a RASTER type, could it be possible to load two or more WMS
layers in a client application? e.g.: is it possible to set a 'country
boundaries' polygon layer and a 'roads' line layer viewed in a single
application? does the result map will show the background country layer
and the roads layer over the contry layer, OR,
the roads ( type RASTER) layer will hide the background one?
if this is possible so this is wonderfull, cause it's possible to create
an application that reads various layers from different WMS servers, am
I correct?

2. and my second doubt is: is it possible to connect an ArcGIS 8.x/9
through any WMS server?

best regards .

--
Eduardo Patto Kanegae