[Mapserver-users] Accessing Oraclespatial data through OGR

Timothy Rupe twoslick at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 15:20:44 EDT 2004

Hi All,

I've installed mapserver, and use OGR to pull data from Oracle.  I
have no problem creating images from this data, but am having problems
with WFS.  As long as the bounding box is small (about the area of
Missouri), and the data is simple, I can retrieve a gml document using
the following query for state data:
http://xxxx/cgi-bin/mapserv42?map=/data/source/catalogv2.map&request=getFeature&version=1.0.0&service=WFS&typename=states&bbox=-96.7,35.7,-88.37,41.2

This query only takes a few seconds.  However, if I sample another
layer that contains more data (like my counties layer), the data being
download starts out at about 40K per second and begins to quickly drop
down to slower than 1K per second.  The bigger the bounding box or
larger the dataset, the worse it gets.  It almost seems like an
exponential time complexity problem, but I don't know where the
problem lies.

Here is a clip from my map file:

LAYER
  NAME "states"

  CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
  CONNECTION "OCI:xxxx/xxxx at test9i"
  DATA "OGC_CATALOG.STATES"

#  STATUS OFF
  TYPE LINE

  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:4326"
  END

  CLASS
    STYLE
      COLOR 0 0 0
    END
  END

  DUMP true

  METADATA
    WMS_TITLE "State Boundaries"
    WMS_ABSTRACT "These are state boundaries"
    WMS_SRS "EPSG:2613"
    WMS_EXTENT "-130 20 -60 50"

    WFS_TITLE "State Boundaries"
    WFS_EXTENT "-130 20 -60 50"
    WFS_SRS "EPSG:4326"
    WFS_GEOMETRY_ELEMENT_NAME "geometry"
  END
END

LAYER
  NAME "counties"
  TYPE line

  CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
  CONNECTION "OCI:xxxx/xxxx at test9i"

  DATA "OGC_CATALOG.COUNTIES"

  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:4326"
  END

  TYPE LINE

  CLASS
    STYLE
      COLOR 200 200 200
    END
  END

  DUMP true

  METADATA
    WMS_title "County Boundaries"
    WMS_ABSTRACT "These are county boundaries"
    WMS_SRS "EPSG:2613"
    WMS_EXTENT "-130 20 -60 50"

    WFS_TITLE "County Boundaries"
    WFS_EXTENT "-130 20 -60 50"