[Mapserver-users] nesting of layers in WMS

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue May 4 11:29:48 EDT 2004

bartvde at xs4all.nl wrote:

> as most of you know Mapserver supports nesting of layers as a WMS server
> by using the GROUP attribute for layers.
>
> However this only supports nesting layers one level deep, while the OGC
> WMS spec allows it to be nested infinitely.
>
> Are there any plans for Mapserver to support a deeper level of nesting,
> like e.g. the Cubewerx server supports? Will this still be practical with
> the current MAP file format, or will it need an XML map file format?

No, there is no plan to support deeper nesting (not on our side anyway).
As you wrote, the current mapfile structure (and the Map object
structure in memory) wouldn't be well suited for that. And going to an
XML map file format without changing the map object wouldn't help for
that either. (However something could probably be done using metadata
without changing the object structure I think.)

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca