[Mapserver-users] ogrinfo & ADF binary grid

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 10 11:57:34 EDT 2004

Marcin Zaj±czkowski wrote:
> Yes, gdalinfo works with my ADF files and gives me some informations.
> But use ogrinfo I wasn't my idea. I've seen it on mailing list. ADF
> format is new for me, so maybe I'm wrong, but how can I get available
> layers in ADF (does every ADF file have any layer, like label layer,
> polygon layer, etc.). I'd like to use it to make OGR connections.
> Some examples which show what I'm asking about.
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0405/msg00049.html
> http://lists.dmsolutions.ca/pipermail/mapserver-users/2002-August/003486.html

Folks,

To clarify a bit, .adf files are used by Arc/Info for both raster binary
coverages, and vector binary coverages.  To know which you have you an
look in the directory.  If you have a w001001.adf file then it is
a raster coverage otherwise it is likely a vector coverage.

Use GDAL (gdalinfo,etc) for rasters, and OGR (ogrinfo, etc) for vectors.

Best regards,