[Mapserver-users] Mixed Units (DD & Meters)

Michael Cortez mcortez at fullcoll.edu
Tue May 18 16:45:24 EDT 2004

> I'd like to keep the output in DD, but have some select
> layers sources be in Meters.  Is this possible?  Is there an
> example for setting up this type of PROJECTION or doing this
> conversion on the fly?

I know, replying to my own message... Bad, Bad...

But...

I've gotten closer -- digging through the archives, and taking a look at
the map recipes (thanks Hal) I've "cobbled together" something that
almost works.

MAP
  EXTENT -8000000 300000 5000000 1500000
  UNITS METERS
  PROJECTION
    "proj=lcc" "lat_1=32" "lat_2=44" "lat_0=38" "lon_0=-100" "x_0=0"
"y_0=0" "ellps=WGS84" "datum=WGS84"
  END

  LAYER
    PROJECTION  # Got this from recipe when I noticed it was using the
same source data.
      "proj=latlong"
      "ellps=WGS84"
      "datum=WGS84"
    END
  END

  LAYER
    PROJECTION
      "proj=aea"
      "lon_0=-120"
	"ellps=clrk66"
	"lat_0=142"     # Guessed this
    END
  END
END

For the lat_0 on my aea layer, I guessed that value.

I added the layer without it, and looked at the results, and my
California data was down next to Central America.  So I added a lat_0
keyword, and played with the value until I got it overlay on top of the
California state projected by my other layer.  I doubt I've done this
correctly.  So any suggestions on the correct way of determining the
projection info for my 2nd layer?

Thanks,
--
Michael Cortez