[Mapserver-users] Hunting for global data

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Wed May 19 05:35:02 EDT 2004

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> I'm looking for any good global-scale datasets to show off MapServer's
> capabilities.
> The first thing I started looking for was a DEM or elevation image but
> everything I'm finding is in some obscure format or another.  Anyone got
> gtopo in a more readily usable format and, ideally, seamless?
> I'm also interested in a any other global datasets - countries,
> hydrography, etc. that others are using.

Tyler,

Look at http://maspserver.sara.nl , under World Maps. It has eight
detailed world maps (elevation, satellite, land use) at 30 seconds
resolution (1 km at the equator, 21600*10800 cells). They are from NASA,
NOAA and others and are all in the public domain. I resampled and
retiled them to GeoTIFF, as described in yesterday's posting
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0405/msg00397.html).
If you want to set up a demo site with explanations how to do this in
MapServer, I'll be happy to assist.

Jan