[Mapserver-users] help! newbie's question about displaying the shape file.

shiming sli1 at uni-forst.gwdg.de
Mon May 31 12:09:36 EDT 2004

Hello, everyone,

Recently I installed the MapServer program, and I can run the demo itasca.
I can display shape file from ArcView example in MapServer , but when I
run with my shape file, there are no image in the image area, just white
space, but the legend and the reference are showed.
My shape file can be displayed in the ArcView environment.
Is there some requirement about the shape file?
The unit of extent is geographic.

What's wrong with me? Can you point the error for me?
Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I use MapServer version 4.0.2 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG
INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

SuSE linux 8.2 and apache2, the directory of
/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/tmp can be written.

The following is .map file

MAP
NAME XX
#EXTENT 110.991 33.0895 111.83 33.8029
EXTENT -180 0 180 90
SIZE 400 300
SHAPEPATH "data"
FONTSET "font/fonts.list"

IMAGETYPE PNG

PROJECTION
   "proj=latlong"
END

UNITS dd
DEBUG ON

WEB
   TEMPLATE xx_demo.html
   IMAGEPATH "/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/tmp/"
   IMAGEURL "/tmp/"
   LOG /tmp/log.txt
END

LEGEND
   STATUS ON
   LABEL
     TYPE TRUETYPE
     FONT arial
     COLOR 0 0 0
     SIZE 12
     ANTIALIAS TRUE
   END
END

REFERENCE
   STATUS ON
   IMAGE "data/reference.png"
   SIZE 170 138
  # EXTENT 110.991 33.0895 111.83 33.8029
   EXTENT -180 0 180 90
   COLOR -1 -1 -1
   OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
END

# LAYER DEFINITIONS ---------------------------------------------
LAYER
       NAME dxregion
       TYPE polygon  #POLYGON
       STATUS DEFAULT   # OFF
       DATA dxregion  #dxregion

	# Starts with the keyword CLASS and terminates with the keyword END.

	CLASS           # and each layer must have at least one class.
	     NAME dxregion
	     EXPRESSION  /./   # '50'
	     OUTLINECOLOR 128 128 200
	     #  COLOR 225 225 185