Umberto Nicoletti unicoletti at PROMETEO.IT
Wed Nov 10 02:56:36 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 19:53, dbarron wrote:
> Sean,
>
> Using the patched mapgml.c and recompiling seems to have helped fix the problems I was seeing. It appears to be working right now and I just have some environment issues to work out.
>
> For example if I do not specify the mapscript.jar on the java command line then the java command will only look in <java_home>/jre/lib/ext for it and I get an exception:
>
>  # java -verbose MapScriptTest
>   mapscript library LOADED...
>   [Loaded edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapObj from file:/usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/ext/mapscript.jar]

at this point java is loading mapscript classes from
/usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/ext/mapscript.jar
Could it be that you have and old (I presume) version of mapscript
around?

However the UnsatisfiedLinkError means that the mapscript.jar refers to
, well, a Linker error :-) (the linker cannot locate functions in the
shared library).

Make triple sure you do not have old mapscript.jar or .so around. Also
check your environ.

>   [Loaded edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapscriptJNI from file:/usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/ext/mapscript.jar]
>   [Loaded java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError from shared objects file]
>   Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: new_mapObj
>         at edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapscriptJNI.new_mapObj(Native Method)
>         at edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapObj.<init>(mapObj.java:334)
>         at MapScriptTest.main(MapScriptTest.java:13)
>   [Loaded java.lang.Shutdown from shared objects file]
>   [Loaded java.lang.Shutdown$Lock from shared objects file]
>
> Then, if I export the CLASSPATH again and specify the jar file on the command line then I move beyond that error to an actual mapserver map file issue:
>
>   #export CLASSPATH
>   #java -verbose -classpath $CLASSPATH:/usr/local/lib/java/mapscript.jar MapScriptTest
>   mapscript library LOADED...
>   [Loaded edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapObj from file:/usr/local/lib/java/mapscript.jar]
>   [Loaded edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapscriptJNI from file:/usr/local/lib/java/mapscript.jar]
>   [Loaded java.lang.UnknownError from /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/rt.jar]
>   Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnknownError: Given map extent is invalid.
>         at edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapscriptJNI.new_mapObj(Native Method)
>         at edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapObj.<init>(mapObj.java:334)
>         at MapScriptTest.main(MapScriptTest.java:13)
>   [Loaded java.lang.Shutdown from shared objects file]
>   [Loaded java.lang.Shutdown$Lock from shared objects file]
>
> This tells me it is working - would you and Umberto agree?  I'll bang on it more today and see where it leads me as well.

Yes, it is working. Correct extents in your map.

Regards,
Umberto