help novice getting Itasca demo working

Brent Wood pcreso at PCRESO.COM
Sat Oct 16 14:57:44 EDT 2004

--- Tyler Mitchell <tylermitchell at SHAW.CA> wrote:

Hi Tyler....

Nice to meet you here :-)

> > I'm using SuSE Linux v9.1.
>
> We are running the exact same platform here.

I switched from Mandrake to use LinGis. I see there is now a DebianGIS
sub-project as well....

> >       <input type="hidden" name="root" value="srv/www/cgi-bin">
>
> Note there is a typo in the path above - should be "/srv/www/cgi-bin" you are
> missing the leading slash.

Very close, I fixed that. After a good night's sleep I revisited the thing,
the line

 <input type="hidden" name="map_web_imageurl" value="/tmp/">

was missing the trailing slash on "/tmp/" which casued the wrong path to the
image... "view source" on my browser was the obvious thing to try that never
occurred to me yesterday...

Now all better!

> Glad to see you getting into this Brent - are you going to post us some great
> GMT maps?

Well, now that you mention it :-)

(BTW, did you get the GMT earthquake plotter working?)

A local project I am involved with is about complete. To provide a freely
redistributable vector topographic dataset of all the digitised features on the
1:50,000 topo map set covering New Zealand.

2 CD's of bz2'd shapefiles. Road, rail, golf courses, caves, quarries, rivers,
streams, lakes, boat ramps... I'm extracting all the spot elevation data & the
20m elevation contour vertices to derive a DEM with GMT. Looks to be about
80,000,000 points (Oh for OGR to have GMT format support!). All the coastline
vertices added with elevation 0.