Once again: Truetype symbols

Frank Broniewski Frank.Broniewski at MNHA.ETAT.LU
Tue Sep 21 04:13:54 EDT 2004

Hello List

I am trying to use some characters from esris ttf fonts for my map. But I
only get squares as symbols, not the expected Treesymbol. I even tried to
use the arial font, but even there I get only squares. Does anybody have a
clue what this is about? I tried changing fonts, renaming the fonts, tried
using the Ascii codes instead of typing the letter but nothing helped.
I did search the archives for such behavior, but the tips mentioned there
(moving the symbols to symbol file) did not help.

I run mapserver on Windows Xp Home with Sp2, Apache 2.0.50 and PHP 4.3.8
installed. Mapserver Version is 4.2.1, PHP Map Script info from phpinfo() is
$Revision: 1.194.2.4 $ $Date: 2004/07/07 19:37:19 $

I created a symbol definition file which contains my "symbol". Here is the
relevant part:
  SYMBOL
    NAME "Tree"
    TYPE TRUETYPE
    FONT forest2
    FILLED TRUE
    ANTIALIAS TRUE
    CHARACTER "j"
  END

In the fontlist I defined the font forest2:
forest2			c:\windows\fonts\esri_652.ttf

In the mapfile I call the symbol with the following lines of code:
   CLASS
     Name "Arbres isolés"
     Template "dasistegal.html"
     Symbol "Tree"