MapServer use with ArcGIS

Matthew Perry mtperry78 at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Tue Sep 21 15:55:15 EDT 2004

First of all, Mapserver can read shapefiles,
coverages, ArcSDE layers and GRIDs so you can use
ArcMap/ArcInfo to create your data and mapserver to
serve it without any file conversions.

Mapserver can also be used to create a Web Mapping
Service (WMS) server. There are extensive docs to help
you accomplish that...

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc42/wms-server-howto.html

On the ESRI side, the "Interoperability Extension"
allows you to integrate WMS into ArcMap 8.3. We have
been evaluating this approach at Humboldt State
University and, aside from some annoying glitches in
ESRI's client interface, it works quite well.

WMS is just raster data (images) so ArcSDE would be a
more comprehensive approach for vector data if you
have it.

Matt Perry
Natural Resources
Humboldt State University