shptree not faster than no index

ANDY CANFIELD andy_canfield at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 23 18:50:34 EDT 2004

I'd go with the one file of all counties. It's just easier to maintain one
file than 3,000. I have at least 50 layers in one of my maps that each layer
can have 300,000 to 1,000,000 plus objects in it. Using the shptree to
create a .qix file makes these layers incredibly fast. I mean fast as in,
you click on the map to zoom or pan, and as fast as your browser can render
the map has been updated to reflect that pan or zoom. I think my smallest
layer has 1,400 hundred polygons in it. Using the shptree and having one
file is way easier than maintaining a single file for each boundary. I
honestly don't think the map I'm using could be any faster, it is the
browser/desktop rendering speed for me that limits how fast the image
changes, so that's really, really fast. Plus if you have 3,000 files and are
zoomed to an extent where you can see half of them or more that's 1,500 or
more open and read operations that Mapserver has to execute vice one if you
put them all in the same file. My two cents anyway.