[UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Help with MAP File

Skweda O'Bomsawin sobomsawin at KASSINI.COM
Fri Sep 24 10:35:32 EDT 2004

Exactly.  You need a projection block in your map section and another
projection block in your layer section.  The PROJECTION block of the map
section is for reprojection on-the-fly feature of Mapserver.  This means you
can choose in which projection you want to display your date in this
section.  The PROJECTION block of the layer is the current projection of
your data (you must know the current projection of your data and specify it
there).

If you specify that your units are in meters, that means you must specify a
projection (not latlong).  The most usual projection for units in meters is
UTM.  Here is a sample PROJECTION block for UTM:

        PROJECTION
        "proj=utm"
        "ellps=GRS80"
        "zone=15"
        "north"
        "no_defs"
      END

Parameters of the PROJECTION block are simply proj4 parameters.  I recommend
you take a look at http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/coordinates.html and
http://www.remotesensing.org/proj/

Hope this will help!

Skweda O'Bomsawin