DWG/DXF

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Sep 24 11:20:01 EDT 2004

ANDY CANFIELD wrote:
> The problem is the open DWG libraries are not open source and have pretty
> restrictive licensing agreements to using them, especially if you are
> putting them into a commercial product.

Andy,

I would definately want to work from the OpenDWG libraries for exactly the
reasons of complexity that you have noted.  DWG implemented in OGR would
be an optional format, and it would be up to the end user (or whoever is
building the application for distribution) to license the OpenDWG libraries
and build it in themselves.  The OpenDWG licensing fees for "in house" use
are pretty reasonable as I recall.

However, this would still fall a long ways from being an open source solution
to the problem.  It could however be quite a useful solution for some users
of MapServer that want to work with Autocad maps.

I don't personally relish the thought of trying to duplicate the work the
OpenDWG alliance has already done.

Best regards,