photoshop geotiff

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Sep 29 09:33:04 EDT 2004

joerg p wrote:
> hello,
>
> I would like to adjust colors of a geotiff in photoshop:
>
> Before editing I can display it with mapserver and open it with
> globalmapper
> then I open the file in photoshop
> i adjust the color
> i save the tiff
> I write the geotiff tag again with GeoTiffExamine
>
> But now i can't display it with mapserver and when I open it with
> globalmapper, it says:
> 'wrong data type 1 for XML Packet'; tag ignored
> 'unknown field with tag 34665 encountered'
>
> How do I save it right with photoshop?
> I have no compression and tried also tif for mac and pc, no difference.

Joerg,

If there aren't too many special non-geotiff tags you want to preserve,
you might just want to run the file through gdal_translate.  This should
drop out unusual Photoshop tags, though in general "wrong data type ...
tag ignored" messages should not be fatal in processing.

However, I would be interested in getting a smallish sample of the file
if possible.  Was the XML Package tag in question put in by Photoshop or
GeoTiffExamine?

Best regards,