Map wrap around??

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Sep 30 15:58:56 EDT 2004

Jerl Simpson wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am wonding if there is a way to get the map to wrap back around.
> I have looked through documentation, and I have either completely
> missed what I need, or didn't realize it was what I needed.
>
> The problem I have now, is when I get to the "edge" of the map, it
> just keeps going off into nowhere land.  Is there a way to join up the
> edges?  This way if I want to pan across the Pacific and follow a
> specific route, I can.

Jerl,

There is some discussion of this in the wiki in:

   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WorldMappingIssues

There are many challenges with mapping over the antimeridian.  If you can
provide details of the projection you are mapping in, the projection of
the data, type type of data (lines, raster) and the behaviour you are
seeing we might be able to give some specific advice.

I am keen on seeing global mapping work better in MapServer but it gets
very sticky.

Best regards,