global mapping issues with orthographic projection

Ken Tanaka Ken.Tanaka at NOAA.GOV
Mon Apr 25 14:11:07 EDT 2005

Frank and Sean,

Thanks for the prompt replies. I'll let you know how things go in trying
other projections and parameters. I'm actually one step removed from the
problem--I am assisting someone else on our development team.

The projection is a little off, when we set the lat_0 and the lon_0 to 0
and -75 respectively (as that is basically GOES EAST's subsatellite
point and i think this is where the orthographic projection for that
satellite should be generated from) we get no map at all or any errors.

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

>On 4/22/05, Ken Tanaka <ken.tanaka at noaa.gov> wrote:
>

>>At the moment we are having some troubles with a "starburst" of stray
>>feature lines that can be seen in this URL:
>>
>>http://gdsg.ngdc.noaa.gov/starburst/
>>

>Ken,
>
>I don't *think* you are running into any of the traditional MMS world mapping
>issues yet.

>>Our current approach is to generate the lines with MMS, and then use a
>>separate step to merge the data (satellite image) with the outlines image,
>>and produce the composite image seen in the above URL.
>>

>Is there a reason you don't have MapServer taking care of the image data
>as well?

I think having MapServer handle the image data would be a good approach
as well. We are currently trying MapServer out by replacing older
software in an existing system. I'll need to find out why the merging is
done separately, there may be a performance issue there.

Thanks,
Ken

--
= Enterprise Data Services Division ===============
| CIRES, National Geophysical Data Center / NOAA  |