Relationship between Unit dd and MAX/MINSCALE

Tim Tsai ttsai at POBOX.COM
Wed Apr 27 14:32:28 EDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 01:27:13PM -0400, Ed McNierney wrote:
> We've had map projections for about two millenia or so, and there's a
> reason for that <g>.

  I agree.  Time to find my Snyder book again.  As I said we're
overlaying some unprojected data ontop of MapServer (unfortunately
I can't do it from within MapServer) so we'd have to project in two
separate applications.

  This still doesn't answer my question on exactly what is the
correspondence between Unit dd and Scale Units, as far as Mapserver
is concerned, but I guess I can Use The Source on this one.

  A quick check with Mapquest shows that at least in parts of New
Jersey, the distance on the scalebar is roughly correct.

  Thanks,

  Tim