[FWTools] Speed of rendering large (2GB) ECW image at normal screen size

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 28 08:28:27 EDT 2005

On 4/28/05, Luca Manganelli <luca76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> today I downloaded the latest release of FWTools for windows (0.9.8).
> I tried the demo in python, OpenEV_FW, to open a locally stored large
> ECW raster file (about 2GB). The demo was incredibly slow in
> visualizing in its small window (about 800 x 600).
> Do you know if it is a fault of the demo or of the library?

Luca,

I believe this is mostly a defect of OpenEV's raster handling strategy
and the way that GDAL represents ECW files to it.  In particular,
OpenEV creates a texture for each 256x256 chunk of the full res file.
In overview on very large files this means that virtually every pixel
on screen is a separate texture, and results in a seperate io request
to the file - a most pathological case.

I would add this isn't a problem for MapServer.  In the raster code
we take care to only make one request to the file per band, so at
worst there are 3 reads from the ECW file for any given render, and
they are done in such a way that full advantage is taken of the ECW
overview capability.

Best regards,