WMS Server serving large raster

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 4 11:47:03 EDT 2005

On 8/4/05, Gambin Dejan <Dejan.Gambin at pula.hr> wrote:
> Thanks Frank very much,
>
> I am aware of no significant difference in my case, I am asking this
> just because of theoretical knowledge I would like to get. I only don't
> understand completely the last issue you mentioned, about the 1-2 files
> overviews and "tile map" information needing to be loaded. What does it
> mean "if overview views are common" (maybe my "common" translation is
> wrong)?

Dejan,

What I expressed rather poorly was that on consideration is what is
a typical usage scenario for your user.  If the nature of your mapping
application is that folks start looking at the whole map, and then
zoom in to a local area, then you will want to ensure that rendering
the whole dataset for an overview view is fast, because this is a common
case.

If the nature of your application is that people are generally only looking
at a small area, then you might not be too concerned about whether
overview views of the whole map are somewhat slow.

Best regards,