postGIS vs. TAB files

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Thu Aug 4 20:28:42 EDT 2005

David,

Frank might have to comment on the efficiency of his TAB support in
OGR to clarify, but in general PostGIS is more effective if you want
to consolidate management of data into one place, query/modify the
data from multiple applications/clients, and get better optimization
of composite spatial/attribute queries.  In straight speed metrics of
drawing a map, PostGIS vs shapefile favours the shapefile by 10-20%.
I am not sure if the same would be true of TAB, they have to traverse
an extra layer of abstraction (OGR).

Paul