postGIS vs. TAB files

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 5 14:38:24 EDT 2005

Bart van den Eijnden <BEN <at> SYNCERA-ITSOLUTIONS.NL> writes:

> One problem of the TAB support through OGR currently is that the attribute
indexes are not being used. So
> doing queries on large TAB files is not that fast.
>
> Best regards,
> Bart

With shape files you can create an attribute index with OGR:
  ogrinfo -ro myTable -sql "create index on listing using ID"
This creates an XML file which tells OGR that there is an
attribute index, and a MapInfo format index (so you might
want to drop MapInfo indexes before you creat the new index).

I do not know if this works with TAB files.

Regards,
Richard Greenwood
www.greenwoodmap.com