conditional/regular expressions are slow

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Sat Aug 6 11:21:39 EDT 2005

Douglas,

Sounds like you are trying to draw *just* the big highways at certain
scales.  Using the feature code as a filter.  This is not mapserver
being slow, this is mapserver processing a huge amount of data.  You
need to think about how mapserver has to answer your request (use
this shape file and show me the big highways).  Since it has no
attribute indexes, it has to open the file and for every shape in the
current view (it does have spatial indexes) it reads the shape and
checks the feature code.  It probably examines 100 ordinary road
shapes for every 1 highway shape it draws for you.  Not efficient at
all.

The answer is your open 2 below.  Pre-process your data so that
mapserver can do the bare minimum of work for each rendering pass.
There is no point in having mapserver read 100000 features that it is
not even going to draw.

Paul