MapServer4.6 install:can't find gd.h and jpeg

ABE Water Research Account watergen at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Sat Aug 6 13:40:08 EDT 2005

Hi, all,
   I 've spent three days worth of time to get all the latest version of
tools for MS4.6 and compiled/install them with no error and updated
LD_LIB... env, then MapServer configure kept saying it can't find my
gd.h and libgd... and neither can it find jpeglib.h and libjpeg.*.

   Due to system restriction, we like to install on local user account, you
know, not the /usr/local defaul locations, and I have the bin/ lib/
include/ share/ etc all set up nicely and all the files are there...

so I configure it like:

./configure   --prefix=$HOME \
               --enable-debug \
               --with-sde=/home/water/a/watergen/lib/sde/sdeexe83 \
               --with-sde-version=83 \
               --with-zlib==/home/water/a/watergen/lib \
               --with-freetype=/home/water/a/watergen/bin/freetype-config \
               --with-jpeg=/home/water/a/watergen/lib \
               --with-png=/home/water/a/watergen/lib \
               --with-ogr=/home/water/a/watergen/bin/gdal-config \
               --with-gdal=/home/water/a/watergen/bin/gdal-config \
               --with-pdf=/home/water/a/watergen/bin/pdflib-config \
               --with-tiff=/home/water/a/watergen/lib \
               --with-curl-config=/home/water/a/watergen/bin/curl-config \
               --with-proj=/home/water/a/watergen/lib \
               --with-gd=/home/water/a/watergen/bin/gdlib-config \
               --with-threads

and I get back:

configure: checking where Zlib is installed...
checking for zlibVersion in -lz... yes
         using libz from system libs.
configure: checking where PNG is installed...
         using libpng from -L/home/water/a/watergen/lib -lpng
configure: checking whether we should include JPEG support...
         using libjpeg from system -L/home/water/a/watergen/lib -ljpeg
configure: checking where libXpm is installed...
checking for XpmFreeXpmImage in -lXpm... yes
         using libXpm from system libs.
configure: checking where libiconv is installed...
checking for iconv_open in -lc... yes
checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... yes
         using libiconv from system libs.
         libiconv found. Enabling internationalization (-DUSE_ICONV)
configure: checking for GD 2.0.16 or higher...
checking for gdFontCacheSetup in -lgd... no
configure: checking whether GD needs libiconv...
checking for gdFontCacheSetup in -lgd... no
configure: error: Could not find gd.h or libgd.a/libgd.so in
/home/danpatch/a/watergen/bin/gdlib-config.  Make sure GD 2.0.16 or higher
is compiled before calling configure. You may also get this error if you
didn't specify the appropriate location for one of GD's dependencies
(freetype, libpng, libjpeg or libiconv).

our system specs:
Machine hardware:   sun4u
OS version:         5.8
Processor type:     sparc
Hardware:           SUNW,Ultra-4

   Then when our collected hair on our heads all pulled out, I just
configure it without any --with, it passed. So I guess this new version or
previous version(s) just need to get things from default places.
   I still hold out hope that we can still put things locally, please let
us know any suggestions,
   Best,
   Baldy