WMS, GetFeatureInfo, querymap, GML

Sebastian Albrecht albrecht at FIELAX.DE
Mon Aug 8 10:29:08 EDT 2005

Hello mapserver users and devs,

is it possible to get a querymap image from a WMS-Server (Mapserver)
in which the selected features are highlighted - just like a mapserver
standalone application would do?

In the mailinglist archives I found a thread (Till Adams, 2003-Nov-14,
"WMS and Querymap") that said it would be possible, but using the
GetFeatureInfo always returns a plain text or a GML to me, not an
image.

Concerning the GML I was wondering why no feature's attributes are
included in the XML file but only coordinates. If I choose text/plain
only attributes are returned but no feature coordinates.

I would really like to use WMS or WFS for my application because I
think it is a nice and scalable way merging geodata from different
places of the world. But they are very restricted and never seem to
have the functionality of a PHP/Mapscript solution according to things
like querying, draw legends, projections, set expressions/filters
dynamically. But please feel free to comment this.

Best regards,
Sebastian Albrecht