very complex maps

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at CCGIS.DE
Tue Aug 9 07:55:44 EDT 2005

Douglass Davis wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have quickly learned that putting together a map such as the one that
> mapquest has, with all highways, cities, parks, bodies of water, and
> appropriate symbology etc. can be very difficult.  Is there a company
> that sells pre-made mapfiles and the all the appropriate and timely data
> to go with them?
>
> Thank you!
> -d
>
> --
> http://www.douglassdavis.com

Actually we'd like to share MAP-files (we put them under GNU/FDL) via
web but there is no central place to put them for download.
It seems that every cartographic problem requires its own MAP files and
classes and definitions. For the German ALK we have put together a set
of thirteen MAP files plus creating several hundred symbol fonts to
achieve the cartographic output. The result renders the official
cadastral base map. Done using WMS standards only and way cool but
probably not of the slightest use to you. It just shows that you might
have to be quite creative in overlaying different geometries with
different layouts to obtain a reasonable result.

We have some definitions for a road map using this concept, might be
more interesting to you. This is an example WMS request using them:

http://wms1.ccgis.de/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/data/umn/wesseling/wesseling_stadtkarte.map&&VERSION=1.1.0&REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=Nutzung%2CStrassen%2CStadtgrenze%2CStrassennamen%2Cwes_dsk_patch&STYLES=&SRS=EPSG%3A31466&BBOX=2568843.75,5631525.988,2570052.75,5632734.988&WIDTH=1000&HEIGHT=1000&FORMAT=PNG&BGCOLOR=0xffffff&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&EXCEPTIONS=INIMAGE

Where to put the corresponding MAP files? This question has been raised
on and off in this list but never with any clear result (or did I miss
it?). Any sugggestions anyone?

Best, Arnulf.