Mapscript and Google maps

Kyle Mulka kmulka at GLC.ORG
Wed Aug 10 11:20:04 EDT 2005

My thoughts on your (andre's) two questions follows:

- you having observed the different API versions, how stable is that
cloning, do you need
to rewrite these functions on every version upgrad on the google side?

The cloning is pretty stable. So far, through only a few versions of the API
I haven't had to change anything. When I say versions of the API here, I
only mean the minor versions where they just switch it on the fly. It's
mostly just bug fixes. They say they will do a major version change in the
future and allow a month to switch all of your code.

- google's "terms of use" don't permit this kind of manipulatons (at least
that is what i
understand by reading their statements). do you think this will make of our
trials not
more than "viewing for educational purposes only"?

True, it is iffy whether or not the terms of use allows this. It is
certainly not a documented feature. I think they will allow this fully as
long as they can still stick in their advertising (which we haven't seen as
of yet) and track users using your service. If they can't, well, who knows.
If we are lucky they will open-source their javascript code and let us use
it without the Google logo in the corner.

-Kyle Mulka
http://maps.kylemulka.com