Problem with php_mapscript and ecw

James P. Browne james.browne at LIU.EDU
Wed Aug 10 12:24:23 EDT 2005

I am running a Debian Linux/Gnu server and compiled the new ECW driver into
GDAL and compiled Mapserver against that.

When I write PHP4 code using php_mapscript I have no trouble creating an
interface where the user can turn shape files on and off, but when either of
ECW layers are turned on, they only work intermittently. The correct output
is created in the image directory, but there is usually no php/html output
after the line
  dl('php_mapscript.so');
If there is no output before that, it looks like nothing happened when using
firefox or mozila, although IE returns a “page cannot be
displayed...technical difficulty...” error. The images were created on the
server, it seems that php_mapscript locks up.

If you switch back to shape files, the page works normally again.

I can't see what I could be doing wrong. Any ideas?