MapServer vs. Deegree

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at SHAW.CA
Fri Aug 12 12:51:08 EDT 2005

> > Is there any reason why I should choose MapServer over Deegree?
> It
> > seems to
> > based on legacy technologies (C, CGI) yet most of the recent GIS
> > development
> > books around seem to use it in their examples?

The reason I use MapServer is because it can do so much more than just OGC specifications and for a Java server noob like me, it was easy to get started.  MapServer for Windows (MS4W) and FGS (linux installer) make the MapSever easy to get going.   But I know those who are comfortable with java servers and such have similarly easy approaches.

Can someone tell me if Deegree ONLY does OGC/ISO specs or does it do others as well?

Tyler