MapServer vs. Deegree

Craig Miller craig.miller at SPATIALMINDS.COM
Fri Aug 12 14:57:14 EDT 2005

Why is everyone bashing on this guy?  IMHO he asked a pretty good question
for someone new to the OSS mapping community and MapServer in particular.

C is a fast language, but it has been known to be susceptible to buffer
overflows which when exposed as a service on the internet is generally a bad
thing.  In the case of Map Server, I've never heard of any vulnerabilities,
but it is something that a newcomer should be concerned with and evaluate.

CGI has also been shown to not scale well for a couple of reasons.  It
creates a new process for each request, and it doesn't re-use memory
allocations.  In the case of MapServer these concerns are largely moot
because they aren't significant relative to the time and resources it takes
to load data and render a map.  Pooling of PostGIS connections, etc would be
a performance improvement however.

He asked the right questions and has as much right as the rest of us to get
good answers from the community.

--Craig