MAPSERVER vs. DEEGREE / LibTiff librar y problems

Edward Nuttall ewnuttall at QINETIQ.COM
Mon Aug 15 07:02:18 EDT 2005

Hi all

Sorry if I've ruffled a few feathers, I've been cocooned on a greenfield
Java project for the last 3 years so I'm somewhat brainwashed with J2EE :o)
I have moved onto a project which was prototyped on Deegree and have been
asked to find out if this is a suitable platform and judging by the books I
have bought it seems MapServer is the tool of choice in GIS (an area I have
only been in for a few weeks) so I just wondered if there were any critical
differences before I started to evaluate. When I referred to C and CGI as
legacy, this was a poor choice of words and I certainly wasn't trying to
make any kind of statement. Thanks for all your input otherwise, as yet I
don't have full project requirements which most people are querying so I'll
keep you posted.

On a probably more basic issue, I am having the following trouble running

Libtiff not found error:

Following a successful compile I cannot run mapserv due to the following

./mapserv: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.3: cannot open

Running ldd on mapserv brings up:

   => /usr/local/lib/ (0xf6f9d000)
   => /usr/local/lib/ (0xf6f3e000)
   => /usr/local/lib/ (0xf6f1c000)
   => /usr/local/lib/ (0xf6ee8000)
   => /usr/local/lib/ (0xf6b9c000)
   => /usr/local/pgsql/lib/ (0xf6b86000)
   => /usr/local/lib/ (0xf6b59000)
   => /lib/ (0x00224000)
   => /lib/ (0x00101000)
   => /lib/ (0x00afa000)
   => /usr/lib/ (0x0020e000)
   => /usr/lib/ (0x00d7f000)
   => /lib/ (0x00d7a000)
   => /usr/lib/ (0x001eb000)
   => /lib/ (0x00d56000)
   => /lib/tls/ (0x009d1000)
   => /lib/tls/ (0x00b00000)
   => /usr/lib/ (0x003cb000)
   => /lib/ (0x0050d000)
   => /usr/local/lib/ (0xf6b34000)
   => /usr/lib/ (0x00c22000)
   => /usr/local/lib/ (0xf6a47000)
   => /usr/local/lib/ (0xf69de000)

            libtiff.3 => not found

   => /lib/ (0x06ad2000)
   => /lib/ (0x00de6000)
            /lib/ (0x009b8000)

The path to libtiff.3 is /usr/local/lib which exists in my /etc/
file and all the other libraries here have been found. I've seen other
posts describing errors arising  multiple libtiff's but I can't find any
others on my system? Many thanks for any help