OGR VRT for lines?

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 16 10:27:12 EDT 2005

On 8/15/05, Listuser H. <listuser at herzsys.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use VRT to create a point layer with x/y coordinates from a table. In the docs
> is mentioned that this only works for point data. But what I want to do is to
> create a simple line layer from a table with x/y for the startpoint and x/y for
> endpoint. I saw in the docs that OGR has a GeometryType wkbLineString.
>
> If it is possible to use this how could the GeometryField definition look like.

Norbert,

There is currently no mechanism to create linestrings from four
columns, sorry.  If you can create a single column with the linestring
geometry in WKT format (ie.  LINESTRING(1 3,2 4)) then you could
read it from a flat table.

I could add the capability you are requesting as a different case if you
need it badly enough.

Best regards,