US overview

Norman Vine nhv at CAPE.COM
Mon Aug 22 10:49:12 EDT 2005

This question comes up a lot and my usually advice is

""One can utilize the fact that the line segments for the
coastline are probably only referenced once whereas
the internal boundaries are referenced twice and thin
a dataset appropriately""

or just use this shapefile where this has been done for you :-)

http://coastalmap.marine.usgs.gov/GISdata/basemaps/boundaries/state_bounds/state_bounds.htm

Cheers

Norman