WMS and layer STATUS DEFAULT

Armin Burger armin.burger at GMX.NET
Wed Aug 24 04:40:31 EDT 2005

Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding MapServer WMS Server and the STATUS DEFAULT
setting for a layer in the map file. I would need to place a logo always on
top of the requested image (using a raster layer or a point layer with
pixmap symbol).

One can define a layer as 'default' and it is always drawn. But if it is not
explicitely requested via the GET URL it will be drawn *before* the
requested layers and will therefore be hidden by the latter, even if the
'logo layer' is the last one in the map file and should be on top of all
others.

The strange thing is that if I define a layer as type 'annotation' and
status 'default', it will always correctly be drawn in the order of the map
file, but not if the logo layer is of type 'raster' or 'point' with pixmap
symbol. Any ideas why this happens? Is this behaviour intended?

The tested Mapserver version is 4.6 and 4.7.

Thanks for any help

Armin