[Fwd: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Indexed Shapefile vs. PostGIS]

Wed Aug 24 16:45:35 EDT 2005

cc the list for archive.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Indexed Shapefile vs. PostGIS
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:44:53 -0400
From: Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com>
To: Rob McCulley <RMcCulley at COUNTY24.COM>

Rob,

I love PostGIS for somethings, but from what you discribe I would start
with a tileindex. You can download shp2tile from http://imaptools.com/?tab=4

build it an run it like:

mkdir tiledata
./shp2tile -q 8000 polygon.shp tiledata
find tiledata -name "*.shp" -exec shptree {} \;
find tiledata -name "*.shp" > tiledata.in
tile4ms tiledata.in tiledata-idx
shptree tiledata-idx

and modify your mapfile to use the tileindex.

-Steve