problem with truetype symbols and typeimage

Sergio Lopez sergiodlopez at YAHOO.COM
Mon Aug 29 12:35:39 EDT 2005

Hi there:

I´m using mapserver 4.6 within MS4W 1.2.1.

I have a problem with truetype symbols. I´m using several TT fonts to
symbolize  point layers, but when I use IMAGETYPE= JPEG, the points are
symbolized as filled rectangles, not the corresponding font.
The issue is solved when I switch  IMAGETYPE to PNG, but then when I zoom
the colors change,(I know is because the 256 colors palette issue)even
though my map is quite far from using 256 colors.
so, in order to summarize:

1)Why the TT font symbols appear filled with IMAGETYPE= JPEG?
2)I´ve read in MS web page that PNG is a recommended output format for
maps, but how come if this format shifts colors even though you use less
than 256 colors in a map?

Sergio.