mapscript polygon hightlighting feature

Gustavo Henrique Sberze Ribas gribas at CPQD.COM.BR
Mon Aug 29 11:03:12 EDT 2005

> Hello,
>
> I am wanting to write a function so that when a user
> clicks on a polygon, that polygon has its outer border
> changed to a different color with perhaps a greater
> line thickness. Ideally a refresh wouldn't be required
> for this. My question is twofold, a) whether this is
> possible b) if anyone has suggestions/code to get me
> started on this. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

 a) Yes.

 b1) You can pass an SLD to mapserv to highlight the desired
Polygon. That will require another request to the server
though.
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/sld-howto.html

 b2) You can use SVG.
http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv40?map=/usr/local/www/docs/testing/svg/test.map&mode=itemnquery&qitem=cty_name&qstring=/./&qlayer=county

http://lists.gis.umn.edu/pipermail/mapserver-users/2003-December/008640.html

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/svg-howto.html

 b3) You can do it with ImageMaps, JavaScript and DOM. Use
the ImageMap generated by Mapserver as a guide to draw
the Polygon's border with JavaScript... sounds crazy
but might work, and it wouldn't require a refresh or
additional plugins :)

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ImageMap

HTH,

Gustavo