Application and data server

Artur Skalski artur.skalski at ACXIOM.COM
Tue Aug 30 06:04:34 EDT 2005

Hi All!

Could You give me some advice?

I need to set up a commercial map site based on the mapserver, I know a bit
mapserver but I'd like to ask You about efficiency and security issues.

I'm planning to base this service on two servers: first - application
server, with www server and mapserver, and second database server with
vector data in a database like PostgreSQL, so the first question is: Is this
approache correct?, maybe it's not needed to separate the application server
from database server, and what about the efficiency and data security in
both cases?

And another thing: if I choose to separate application and www server from
database server is it nessesary to deal with WMS and WFS Mapserver or maybe
regular Mapserver can comunicate with a database placed on database server?

Many Thanks for Your advice!

Best Regards

Artur