Application and data server

Julien-Samuel Lacroix jlacroix at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue Aug 30 09:31:40 EDT 2005

Hi Artur!

This is a tricky one. It really depends on the trafic you have on your
website. For a moderate trafic website you only need a basic
installation. One server with MapServer + PostGIS + Application.

However if you get too much traffic for a single server, you may want to
separate the Application and MapServer. MapServer is usually what takes
the most ressource of a server. This is more true when it is poorly
configured. So before doing that, make sure you have tuned your data,
mapfile and server. The first things you should check are removing the
PROJECTION blocks and the filters (For any other advice ask the list).
Other than that, there's no real problem to put the database and
MapServer on the same machine I think.

In the case you decide to separate PostGIS and MapServer on 2 different
machines, you don't need to use WFS or WMS. You can connect to PostGIS
like usual I think.

Best regards,
Julien

PS: There's information in the wiki about security issues.

Julien-Samuel Lacroix            jlacroix at dmsolutions.ca
DM Solutions Group               http://www.dmsolutions.ca/