Will someone summarize this?

Aniruddha S. Khadkikar as.khadkikar at NCL.RES.IN
Thu Dec 1 02:40:13 EST 2005

I am totally lost amongst 100 mails per day wrt the naming of:
The Foundation and,
Mapserver.

It is indeed difficult to follow the discussion now. Can someone provide
a summary of what has come out of these discussion till now?

Have we agreed that:

Mapserver retain its identity as before (I vote for that - in case
polling is on).

The Autodesk product not have Mapserver in its name to remove ambiguity.
UMN Mapserver clearly scores in terms of precedence/priority on this
issue (a rule followed by the scientific community). The may ofcourse
choose to include "Based on Mapserver" as part of their product
description if they wish to.

In future, transparency in decision making be mandatory for a community
project to succeed and retain its value. And as part of a democratic
process, a consensus be taken everytime such important decisions are made.

There would be no change in the license policy in future that would
affect end users banking on open source products like me.

and, most importantly,
What are the steps forward? Let us immediately put an end to renaming
Mapserver. Rename the Foundation, Rename the Autodesk product, or rename
any other thing. But there is no necessity to rename Mapserver.

Mapserver is, and should always remain Mapserver.
Amen.

Aniruddha