Compilation issues with gd.h on Linux 64bit

Xin crazygecko at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 2 11:03:24 EST 2005

I'm attemping to compile mapserver on our web hosting server, which are cool
enough to allow this.  But I'm having some problems.

First off, it says it can't find gd.h.  I've included the compilation
command used and output at the end.  I've checked and gd does exist in
/usr/lib and /usr/include, and pointed to /usr to no avail.  I also tried
compiling gd myself.  Gd was compiled successfully, but mapserver can't see
it.

I then called a friend who's with the same hosting company and managed to
compile mapserver successfully.  He told me he didn't have any issues as it
was on a older, 32 bit machine, and the server I'm on is 64bit.  Is this the
issue?  Or am I just doing something stupid.

I'm very grateful for any advice.

Cheers,
Xin

configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
checking for 2-gcc... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for 2-g++... no
checking for 2-c++... no
checking for 2-gpp... no
checking for 2-aCC... no
checking for 2-CC... no
checking for 2-cxx... no
checking for 2-cc++... no
checking for 2-cl... no
checking for 2-FCC... no
checking for 2-KCC... no
checking for 2-RCC... no
checking for 2-xlC_r... no
checking for 2-xlC... no
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for 2-ranlib... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for flex... flex
checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
checking lex output file root... lex.yy
checking whether yytext is a pointer... yes
checking for bison... bison -y
checking if compiler supports -R... no
checking if compiler supports -Wl,-rpath,... yes
checking for exp in -lm... yes
checking for __gxx_personality_v0 in -lstdc++... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strncasecmp... yes
checking for strdup... yes
checking for strlcat... no
MapServer Version from map.h: '4.6.1'
configure: checking where FreeType 2.x is installed...
        using libfreetype from -L/usr/lib64 -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib64
-lfreetype -lz
checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... yes
        using libfreetype -lfreetype from system libs.
configure: checking where Zlib is installed...
        using runtime libz from -L/lib64 -lz
configure: checking where PNG is installed...
        using libpng from -L/lib64 -lpng
configure: checking whether we should include JPEG support...
checking for jpeg_read_header in -ljpeg... yes
        using libjpeg from system libs.
configure: checking where libXpm is installed...
checking for XpmFreeXpmImage in -lXpm... no
        XPM (libXpm) library cannot be found, possibly needed for GD
configure: checking where libiconv is installed...
checking for iconv_open in -lc... yes
checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... no
        using libiconv from system libs.
        libiconv found. Enabling internationalization (-DUSE_ICONV)
configure: checking for GD 2.0.16 or higher...
checking for gdFontCacheSetup in -lgd... no
configure: checking whether GD needs libiconv...
checking for gdFontCacheSetup in -lgd... no
configure: error: Could not find gd.h or libgd.a/libgd.so in /usr.  Make
sure GD 2.0.16 or higher is compiled before calling configure. You may also
get this error if you didn't specify the appropriate location for one of
GD's dependencies (freetype, libpng, libjpeg or libiconv).

---

[~/dev/mapserver-4.6.1]# whereis gd
gd: /usr/include/gd.h

[~/dev/mapserver-4.6.1]# ls /usr/include/gd.*
/usr/include/gd.h