NOAA Digital Raster Charts in BSB, any guidance on use with mapserver?

Paul Turner pturner at CCALMR.OGI.EDU
Sat Dec 3 13:33:53 EST 2005

Howdy,

For 'free', both NOAA and Maptech have released the BSB versions of the
NOAA raster charts - on NOAA's site, looks like around 1012 files. I've
downloaded a couple of hundred and I'm wondering how best to manage this
as there are maps with differing resolutions covering the same areas.
I'm sure this is a solved problem so I'm hoping some kind soul out there
might provide me with some guidance on how best to configure a map file
to display these images in mapserver taking into account varying scales
of these images - and here I'm aware of min/maxscale  - like I need to
sort the files according to map scale and generate indexes for each
group. Has someone already made a bundle of these guys? Bittorrent? Is
there a WMS server (my preference)?

In case this is news, here are the links:

Lots of clicking, fast server

http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/Index.htm

Slow server, signup required
http://www.freeboatingcharts.com