Mapserver - Autodesk: hostile takeover, merger of equals or what?

Tue Dec 6 10:10:07 EST 2005

There is no intention to merge codebases, not that it is even possible. There are possiblities to share ideas and even pieces of code though. I personally plan to continue to focus exclusively on MapServer for the foreseable future.

The naming issues have been beaten to death and have been acknowledged as a mistake. Gary Lang from Autodesk did post a message on Friday that said they are looking to rename their contribution (in case folks missed it).

Steve

>>> "Sears, Jeremy" <Jeremy.Sears at CCRS.NRCAN.GC.CA> 12/06/05 8:59 AM >>>
My thoughts are simmilar.

"I admit I do not have even something like a moral
right to influence the development of UMN Mapserver, since I did not
contribute to its code.."

I'm in the same boat. Maby someday Ill rise to the level where I can devote
some time to coding the guts of a sweet Open Source project. In the meantime
Ill continue working with Mapserver, applying the technology and promoting
it. This type of activity gives us 'non-coders' at least a small moral share
in the project.

According to the poll result:
http://ms.gis.umn.edu/community/polls/naming/questionnaire_view_results

We are not alone. Approx 80% of respondents indicated that they arnt down
with the name change, wich is only the tip of the iceberg.

However the letter has been signed. Autodesk announced its clever step
publicly last week. Do you think a few unhappy emails sent to this list will
change anything? Me neither. Lets just hope that the selling out of
Mapserver stoped there.

All the best ...
Jeremy