The new MapServer website

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Tue Dec 6 10:19:11 EST 2005

Folks,

This is a heads-up to let you know that the Plone site
<http://ms.gis.umn.edu> will be come *the* MapServer website once
MapServer 4.8 is released in a couple of weeks (it will be pointed at
<http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu>).  The "blue" site will remain on the
web at <http://old-mapserver.gis.umn.edu> indefinitely to continue to
provide documentation for older releases of the software.

We need your help.  As we have be moving the content over to the new
site, we have also taken the opportunity to add more functionality
and documentation that wasn't available in the old site.  Some things
may have been missed (good/useful bits in the wiki, stuff buried deep
in the old site).

- What things do you know of that are missing in the new site?
- What topics aren't covered thoroughly enough?
- What "tidbit"-like documents need to be added?  For example,
Stephen Woodbridge notified me that we need an FAQ or definition of
map scale and what that concept means in MapServer.  What other
concepts like that need coverage?
- Have you noticed any formatting bugs on the new website?
- Do you find the new organization logical and easy to use?
- Does the search mechanism work well for you?
- Have you tried the RSS feeds or PDF download features?  Are they useful?
- Which documents are in the wrong place?
- Have you tried submitting a document?  What works, what doesn't,
and what essential parts of that process need to be documented?
- Any other issues that you've noticed?

We, the members of the documentation team, have been working really
hard to make a website that makes things easy to find, allows anyone
to contribute information, and has most everything you need.  We're
on the final stretch, and we need your input to put some polish on it.

Thanks,

Howard

PS.  I'd also like to throw a shout out to those who have worked so
hard to make this happen.  Jeff McKenna.  Perry Nacionales.  Kari
Geurts.  Tom Burk.   Frank Warmerdam.  Sean Gillies.  Trent Erikson.
Steve Lime.  Didrik Pinte.  David Fawcett.  The rest of the
MapServer-DOCS team.  Anyone else that I missed.