[Mapbender-users] Re: [pgsql-www] [Freegis-list] Re: [GENERAL] Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at CCGIS.DE
Wed Dec 7 02:30:26 EST 2005

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Where are we on this?  Can we get it added to our web site?  Can we have
> usernames added to the map?

Hi,
yes, both can be done. But our server and connectivity are sort of slow,
so I was talking to some people whether they could host the services.
This will take a few more days. Anybody interested in operating a
spatial data infrastructure on stable servers (preferrably FreeBSD or
some Linux) with good connectivity feel free to contact us.

Additionally we got lost in a few technical discussions about whether to
implement the full scale service oriented standardized I-can-add-myself
version using PostgreSQL with PostGIS (which I would really like to see
as it promotes using PG as spatial data backend and also gives us GIS
guys a chance to show off cool technology).

Claire favored an easy-to-use google-maps approach which would mean less
effort getting to run (they have it all up and running) but less
compatibility and unsolved copyright issues regarding the background maps.

Give us a few more days, by the weekend I will post a link so that
people can have a look at it. The link will ship with a list of which
software is being used and how it is configured. Ideally someone "near"
the PostgreSQL homepage could operate the service (we GIS folks never
stop considering spatial proximity).

What has to be done anyway is collect the coordinates of the users. It
would be nice to not start off with a blank map. We can provide some 20
users in Germany (most of them spatial). Either the name of a city or
the decimal degree coordinates of the position will do.

Best, Arnulf.