Scanning resolution

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Wed Dec 7 09:18:25 EST 2005

Lester -

Question 1:  I expect that very few users will need or require 1200 DPI
resolution.  It is helpful, when working with line art source images, to
scan at high resolution and then descreen/filter/clean up the image to a
lower resolution.  Going to 400 DPI gives you excellent resolution and
will fit on one CD.  Your numbers also suggest that you are using 24-bit
images.  If your source is line art, that may be neither necessary or
appropriate; that is, if there are only 8 colors used on the original
map, an 8-bit image ought to be all you need, even allowing for some
intermediate shades along color boundaries.  That will also greatly
reduce the data set size; 4.3 GB is a lot for that map, even assuming
you meant to say it's 101 CENTImeters by 90 cm!

Question 2: 100MB tiles are generally manageable but a little on the
large side.  Chopping them into 20MB tiles will help; you should also
use the GDAL option to create "TILED" TIFF images for better data access
speeds.

Question 3: I like to create intermediate images every 2x the original
resolution (1200 DPI, 600 DPI, 300 DPI, etc.).  The first one is the
hardest, since it requires about 25% additional storage over the
original source data.  The second one is only 6% of the original, and
all the rest are tiny.  However, you do NOT want to create a large
number of tiny files, as this will greatly slow your access speeds.
Once you get to those levels, you should use the GDAL tools to glue the
tiles together into reasonably-sized ones.

Good luck!

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker