More reactions to recent announcement

Gary Lang gary.lang at AUTODESK.COM
Sat Dec 10 15:38:15 EST 2005

http://www.gisuser.com/content/view/7567/28/

What's interesting about this article is that while the writer was
attending "Autodesk University", and ostensibly drinking the Autodesk
Kool-Aid, he understood the message we tried to deliver again and again
that the goal was for both the existing Mapserver and Autodesk product
to continue to be developed and grow. We spent quite a bit of time
talking about Mapserver, Steve Lime, etc. I noticed that he credits the
open letter as being authored by Steve Lime. That's totally fine by us -
we're in this together. And me - he couldn't even spell my name! Totally
fine. This is about open source web mapping and the communities we
serve, not individuals.

In a way, I don't think we got much credit for being as balanced as we
were, but I really think that we should have received a bit more than I
saw in some quarters. I do appreciate the private messages of support
sent our way while we feel our way around this new (to us) world.